QMU PhD Bursary Competition - Frame FootballNews
Each year Queen Margaret University (Edinburgh, Scotland) invites applications from individuals with a strong academic record for funded QMU PhD studentships.
QMU are now accepting applications for our 2022 Bursary's starting in September 2022. The closing date for applications is 11 March 2022.
Frame Football [BUR 22-02]
Frame Football allows athletes with moderate- to-severe mobility impairments to play football. It was developed in England in 2014 and is now played in countries worldwide as a participation programme with hopes that it will one day become an internationally competitive sport.
The International Federation of Cerebral Palsy Football (IFCPF) is working in partnership with the Cerebral Palsy International Sports and Recreation Association (CPISRA) to further explore and develop this new format of football.
Although there are several similarities with RaceRunning, for example regarding the high support athletes participating in these sports, there are also a few important differences. One them is the fact that the majority of Frame Football players are under 16. Although a decline in physical activity participation is also observed in early teens in the general population, CP specific factors such as pain and fatigue may also play an important role in this decline.
The proposed PhD will be able assist with the further development of Frame Football at a recreational level and ultimately at an international competitive level in variety of ways:
- Research into the benefits of Frame Football on physical and mental health and wellbeing (survey, qualitative research)
- Research into the factors associated with Frame Football participation.
- Research into how the design of the game frame could be adapted to the demands of
- older players and those with more severe mobility impairments
- Research into evidence-based classification for Frame Football as an international competitive event
For enquiries and further information please contact: Dr Marietta van der Linden (firstname.lastname@example.org)